01 May 1901

First UK multi-storey car park

The City & Suburban Electric Carriage Company at 6 Denman Street, central London, opened the first multi-storey car park in the UK (and probably the world) in May 1901.  The garage had seven floors, 19,000 square feet, space for 100 vehicles and an electric elevator to move the vehicles between floors.

In 1902 City & Suburban opened its second garage, a converted building in Westminster known as Niagara that could hold 230 vehicles.  At both, electic vehicles were housed, serviced, cleaned, insured and delivered to owners on request.

Earliest surviving multi-storeys

The earliest surviving multi-storey car park was built in 1902-03 for the London Motor Garage Co. at 33-37 Wardour Street, it was three storeys, could hold 200 cars and is now a pub.

Botanic Gardens Garage in Vinicombe Street, Glasgow (pictured below), was built between 1906-1911.  The garage has a distinctive art deco facade, ramped access to the second floor and a category A listing with Historic Scotland.  It primarily provided storage space for cars belonging to local residents.

The 1907 Electromobile Garage, Carrington Street, London, was two storeys for 300 electric cars.  It is now managed by NCP.

7f2a27656025

Inside Botanic Gardens Garage, Glasgow:

6351e56de470

comments powered by Disqus

[[DFP]]adId=div-gpt-ad-1433953045566-1,adUnitId=BPA_ROSone_Right_Banner(300x300),dimensions=230x230[[/DFP]]

[[DFP]]adId=div-gpt-ad-1433953045566-2,adUnitId=BPA_ROSFive_Right_Banner(300x300),dimensions=230x230[[/DFP]]

Website Feedback Survey