With what seems to have been a rather odd news year, full of our Brexit decision and Trump’s win of the Presidential election in America, we thought we would focus on the UK and America’s parking stories.
At this time of year some of the media tends to publish moany stories about parking and the lack of free parking. But let’s not go there! Our 2015 blog on Christmas free parking says it all.
‘Tis the season to be jolly, so let’s look back at some fun and exciting news from 2016.
1. In September of this year archaeologists have discovered what could be King Henry I’s remains languishing beneath a Ministry of Justice car park on the site of Reading prison. It was the same month 4 years before that the bones of Richard III were excavated from a car park in Leicester.
2. There was a singing car park in Cardiff to mark 100 years since the birth of Roald Dahl on September 13 1816, Llandaff in Cardiff, the City became the unexpected city on 17th September, stuffed full of quirky objects celebrating the many stories Roald Dahl brought us.
3. Police Department of Texas has this December turned parking tickets into charitable They have decided to issue parking tickets asking motorists to bring gifts into the station for less fortunate children instead of paying the fees from their motoring offences.
4. Hoda Kotb, Co-Anchor of the Today show in America went undercover as a meter maid for a day to spread kindness, through parking tickets. Instead of issuing a ticket, she placed on the windscreen tickets to concerts and events.
5. Car parks are not only for cars but in the future may increasingly become the place for homes too, as a design was revealed for Car park 'homes on stilts' in surface car parks. ZED Pods has been funded via the Government's Enterprise Investment Scheme (EIS) as a creative way to tackle the UK's housing crisis. Each pod accommodates a balcony, micro kitchen and dining table, bathroom, sofa space and a mezzanine floor with a desk, double bed and wardrobe.
6. You can never be too young to become interested in parking! A new parking puzzle game was introduced in June of this year, The Wooden Stack and Count Parking Garage. Kids can stack 10 wooden cars in this gated parking tower and top them with the sliding counter. An educational way to play with sorting, matching and counting.
We look forward to seeing what 2017 has in store. In the meantime all of us at the BPA wish our readers a Merry Christmas and a happy new year!